This healthy VEGAN and Gluten-Free Pumpkin Seed Snack Cake Recipe is perfect for a special fall occasion!
Over the past few weeks, I have been very excited about fall and all the wonderful foods and feelings brings. As I always look to try new recipes out that are good for your gut and fabulous for your skin. I can saw, this recipe has become my favorite snack cake on the planet. I love that it’s packed with pumpkin seeds, super moist, full of incredible flavor and plenty of texture thanks to the clean ingredients.
Not only is it organic, delicious, and gluten-free, but it contains super-rich nutrients that feed our skin and it doesn’t derail our entire day with a sugar rush and regret! 😉
Also, I always make my recipes dairy-free, low in sugar, and they are made easily with great results!
This Olive Oil based Pumpkin Seed Cake requires a few specialty ingredients, that are easily found in many stores. Trust me, this will absolutely be the fall snack that you’ll EVER eat when you have a sweet craving. Here’s what you need:
Organic Almond Flour: Any blanched organic almond flour will work. Almond flour can reduce inflammation, containing Vitamin E- which is known to be an antioxidant that helps protect your skin from harmful UV rays.
Organic gluten Free Flour: An essential when it comes to baking 1:1. Make sure it has Xanthan Gum. Most gluten free flours aid in digestion.
Organic Vanilla Extract: just an essential.
Baking Powder: Just an essential
Organic Cinnamon: Cinnamon is not only a fall favorite for that extra yummy flavor, but it is known to have anti-aging properties that help prevent and reduce signs of ageing in your skin.
Organic Applesauce: Just an essential for baking but huge one benefits. Apples are known to be high in antioxidants, flavonoids, as well as what are known as phenolic compounds. In a way apples can protect your skin from oxidative stress. They are known to contain nutrients that help to repair damaged skin from UV rays and the pollution in the air around you.
Organic Olive Oil: Not only does make a huge difference in moisture and consistency. The vitamins in olive oil provide powerful antioxidants that prevent cellular damage produced by free radicals. Olive oil promotes healthy skin and is known to help rejuvenate your skin and improve your hair health. Full and rich of vitamins E, A, D and K.
Organic Coconut Sugar: Not only does this sugar taste like brown caramelized sugar, but it contains inulin, a prebiotic fiber that reduces sugar highs and keeps your gut happy. It is also known to be a great low-glycemic sugar alternative.
Organic Almond Milk: Please know that any dairy free milk will work. I particularly choose this milk because it is low in fat and calories and is known to be a great source of Vitamin D and E which are great for your skin.
Organic Pumpkin Seeds: I love adding these. Not only are they high in protein, but they are also high in Zinc which protects your cell membranes, helps you maintain collagen and promotes skin renewal.
Organic Sunflower Seeds: Great add for taste and skin health! Sunflower seeds are so tasty and can prevent premature aging, reduce acne and inflammation. They keep our skin glowing!
EXTRA FUN: Vegan Chocolate Chips 😊 Just my own recommendation.
- 1 ¼ cup of organic gluten-free all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup of organic blanched almond flour
- 2 Tbsp of organic coconut flour
- 3 Tbsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 2/3 cup organic olive oil
- 2/3cup and 2 tbsp organic coconut sugar
- ¾ cup organic unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup organic almond milk
- 1 tsp organic vanilla extract or organic almond extract
- 2/3 cup organic pumpkin seeds
- 3 tbsp organic sunflower seeds
EXTRA FUN (recommended):
- Option 1: sprinkle 3 tbsp of organic sesame seeds on the top.
- Option 2: sprinkle 2/3 cup of organic vegan chocolate chips on the top.
For the Decorating:
- Sprinkle organic powdered sugar or glaze with your choice of organic honey.
- Preheat oven to 335 degrees F. Line an 8x8 glass or aluminum baking pan with parchment paper and lightly grease. Set it aside.
- In a small bowl, combine all flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and sea salt; set aside.
- Add coconut sugar, apple sauce, almond milk and vanilla extract and whisk until completely combined.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix with a handheld mixer on low power until just combined.
- Fold the pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds into the batter gently until evenly mixed.
- Pour batter into the prepared cake pan.
- For the extra fun option, sprinkle extra pumpkin seeds, organic sesame seeds or vegan chocolate chips on the top.
- Insert pan in the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let cool for 45 minutes to an hour.
- Use parchment paper to lift the cake out of the pan and continue cooling on the rack.
- Optional: Using a sifter, sprinkle powdered sugar on the cake evenly or glaze with organic honey.
- Store an airtight container in the refrigerator or freezer if you want to save some for later. Can be served warm, room temperature or cold.