Get With the Program – Creating a Beauty Regimen That Works For You
Fall is creeping up on us! Gone are the long, lazy days of summer and sunscreen scented beach bags. Time to welcome in those crisp autumn mornings and cozy up with pumpkin spice lattes! Although the end of summer is always somewhat bittersweet, there is much to enjoy as autumn arrives. This change of seasons is a perfect time to switch up routines and establish new habits. It’s also an excellent opportunity to reevaluate your beauty routine and commit to a consistent skin care program. Take advantage of the seasonal shift and set a goal for yourself to take better care of your skin. By the time Thanksgiving rolls around you’ll sure be grateful you did!
There are many reasons why people do not put a great natural skin care routine into practice. The excuses are endless: it’s too time-consuming, it’s too expensive, or it is just simply too overwhelming to think about. With all of the different skincare lines and formulas out there, where to even begin? Sometimes it may seem easier to just use soap and water! Trust me, that is not a wise plan. There is also the “grass is always greener” mindset, as new products are always coming out on the market, it is tempting to give up on what you’re currently using and try the new hot item, thinking the NEXT thing will surely be the ticket to eternally youthful skin. Sadly, this is usually just a marketing ploy and results in a broken bank account and disappointment.
In reality, it’s actually not difficult, costly, or even confusing to get great results from a relatively simple natural skin care regimen by using good quality products. Setting aside a few minutes twice a day really isn’t much to ask for glowing, healthy skin. What it is does take is consistency and commitment. While many products, including OZ Naturals, will yield immediate subtle improvements in skin tone and resiliency, the biggest and best benefits come with regular, long-term usage. The skin regenerates every 27 days, so it is important to stick to a routine and continue using a product for at least that long to determine if it is taking hold for you. Additionally, our skin is constantly changing to adapt to the outside environment, which means your skin may react differently to your routine and/or products as the weather and temperatures vary. This just reinforces the need to be consistent and stay dedicated to your skincare regimen for a decent amount of time to decide if it is working for you.
So lets get down to business here, what exactly comprises a good skin care regimen?
Age plays a significant role in determining the most effective routine for your skin. If you are still in your 20’s or younger, and lucky enough to have absolutely no skin issues, you may be able to get away with a very minimalist regimen. This would include a good cleanser and natural face cream, used both morning and night, and a high SPF natural sunscreen every day. We recommend using OZ Naturals Vitamin C Facial Cleanser and the Sea Infused Herbal Moisturizer, both full of powerful antioxidants and natural ingredients that protect and deeply nourish the skin. Either of our sunscreens, the Age Defying Tinted or Age Defying Moisturizing, are good choices for daily use as well. While it may not seem all that important to use a sunscreen, especially when it isn’t summer, it is truly the single most significant step you can take in keeping your skin looking youthful and protecting it from the harmful effects of UV damage. Of course your skin would also benefit from a good toner and serum, but if you’re religious about the cleansing, moisturizing, and sunscreen steps, you are covering the most important bases.
As we age, our skin does too, especially if we skipped that sunscreen in our 20’s! For those of us in our third to sixth decades, there are several additional steps that will make a noticeable difference in the health and radiance of our skin:
- A high quality toner, such as OZNaturals Ocean Mineral Tonic, is a quick and simple addition to any skin care routine that can reap amazing results. Toners deliver antioxidants and other skin perfecting ingredients, prep skin for makeup, and increase the efficacy of any serums and moisturizers applied. OZ Naturals Ocean Mineral Tonic boosts all skin types with Vitamin C, glycolic acid, and organic sulfur. This is particularly important for older skin, as it becomes more difficult for the outer layer of our skin to absorb nutrients as it loses collagen and becomes more fragile. Infusing your face with these powerful nutrients through use of a toner on a regular basis will help lock them in and keep your skin smiling.
- A Vitamin C Serum is the next step we recommend in an effective beauty regimen. This powerful antioxidant not only protects skin against free radicals, but also helps repair skin that may have already suffered damage. Apply a small amount to clean, dry skin and give it at least a few minutes to absorb. OZ Naturals Vitamin C Serum contains 20% stabilized Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate, the highest concentration available. In fact, SAP is activated once it is absorbed by the skin, and continues to stay active for 24 hours after application! This is an amazing characteristic of this particular form of Vitamin C, and it’s what makes SAP so extraordinary, which is why so many people swear by this crucial skin care step. If you are going to add anything else to your skin care regimen besides the essential cleanser, moisturizer and sunscreen, make it our Vitamin C Facial Serum.
- All skin types can benefit from use of a Hyaluronic Acid Serum. Hyaluronic Acid draws water into the skin, helping restore elasticity, diminish the appearance of fine lines and increase radiance. Even oily and acne prone skin will benefit from usage, since it naturally balances moisture levels. To use, apply OZNaturals Hyaluronic Acid Serum after the Vitamin C serum, and allow it to dry before moving on to your moisturizer. Note, when using multiple serums simultaneously, it is key to allow the first one to dry completely before applying the next in order to allow the skin to fully absorb each one. Of course always follow up with a moisturizer as well!
- Using a moisturizer with retinol is an extremely beneficial step for anyone concerned about wrinkles, skin texture, pore size or brown spots. Retinol, a form of Vitamin A, is a powerful antioxidant, and one of the most thoroughly researched skin care ingredients available. OZNaturals Super Youth 2.5 Retinol Moisturizer contains retinol, hyaluronic acid and Vitamin E to deliver a powerful and effective cocktail of anti-aging treatments. Sensitive skin types may want to start by using every other night and work up to a twice daily routine as it packs a fairly serious punch. Our retinol serum is also a great addition to your skincare routine, as it contains a unique ingredient, Astaxanthin, which is only found in our formulation. Astaxanthin improves the appearance of hyperpigmentation, fine lines, wrinkles and overall texture and tone, guaranteed. As mentioned earlier, you should be using sunscreen already, but daily use is a must when also utilizing any retinol product.
- The delicate area around the eyes will also benefit from special treatment. Common complaints such as puffiness, bags, dark circles, and wrinkles can all be addressed with an eye gel and/or eye cream. OZNatural’s Super Youth Eye Gel is one of our best sellers for a reason! It is formulated with cutting edge ingredients including Matrixyl Synthe'6, Haloxyl, Caffeine, Hyaluronic Acid, and Apple Stem Cells to reduce the appearance of crow’s feet and forehead wrinkles, and brighten up the whole eye area. Since it contains a base of amino acids and aloe, this versatile product also serves as a wonderful primer for eye makeup. Many customers love using the Super Youth Eye Gel in conjunction with our Ultra Ageless Eye Crème, which also includes Astaxanthin to further improve and protect the eye area against signs of aging and inflammation. The creamy texture works wonderfully with the gel of the Super Youth Eye to fully moisturize your eye area and keep you looking wide awake.
One final tip: Whichever products you use on your face, remember to also apply to your neck, décolleté, and even the backs of your hands. These often neglected can be among the first places to show signs of aging, and will greatly benefit from the same skin care steps that you take with that beautiful face, so make sure they are getting some love as well.Your beauty ritual can be as unique as you are. Whether you are just starting out with implementing a regular skin care routine or are already an expert in this area and use natural cosmetics as well, it is equally important to create a system that you know you can stick to. The key is to select high quality products, with active ingredients that address the skin issues that concern you, and remain consistent. Make this autumn count for your skin and set a health-dedicated tone for the rest of your year. Choose wisely, be consistent, and you’ll be rewarded with more beautiful, healthy skin. Now that is something to fall for this fall!