Your mother probably told you to be sure to wash your face every night before going to bed, and no doubt you complied. Those good beauty care tips we developed as kids, however, often get swept aside in our adult lives. Busy schedules, late nights, and general exhaustion all contribute to that overpowering temptation to crawl under the covers without preparing one’s skin for bed. As with so many things, mom was right all along. Let me fill you in on a few important reasons why you never want to skip this important step in your skincare regimen.
Not washing your face causes several negative side-effects. A Beauty Editor at StyleCaster went three weeks without washing her face or wearing makeup, and experienced several negative results. Her normal skin type turned dry, the texture of her skin changed from smooth to rough (it took her over a week to restore it back to smooth!), and her skin repelled moisturizer. If you want your skin to feel healthy and to get the most out of your other beauty products, cleansing your face daily is an important aspect of your beauty regime.
Scientifically speaking, however, neglecting to wash your face leaves on a layer of dead skin cells, bacteria, dirt, sweat, and pollutants. Layer after layer will build up and only a facial cleanser can remove it completely and gently without causing any further damage.
Premature aging is also an inevitable side-effect of not using a cleanser on a regular basis. Deepened wrinkles and enlarged pores are just a few of the many problems you will encounter, even if you still rinse your face with water. If you want to age with grace, brush up on important beauty tips for ladies and don’t skip out on washing your face.
So every time you slip between the sheets without properly cleansing your face, you are allowing toxins to spend the night eroding your skin’s health. It’s not your imagination – you can actually see the resulting damage the next morning in the form of puffy eyes, dark circles, breakouts and loss of elasticity. Keep reading to learn why washing your face is the best daily routine:
Keeping Your Face Healthy & Clean
On the positive side, when your face is clean, it allows the other products you use to work even better, morning and evening. Proper cleansing clears your pores, and prepares the skin to effectively absorb any serums and moisturizers that follow.
Good facial cleansers gently remove pollutants, bacteria and unwanted debris from our faces without stripping away our natural oils. If you live in an urban environment – or really just about anywhere in our modern world - environmental impurities get lodged in your pores. These miniscule particles of pollution break down the skin’s natural barrier, and expose it to free radicals and collagen breakdown. Leaving these pollutants in your skin overnight does double damage by not allowing the skin’s natural repair cycle to work as efficiently.
There is a lot of debate in the beauty industry about how many times a day you should be washing your face. Some recommend a varied schedule based on your skin type, and others say it’s always twice a day for everyone. There are a few undisputed facts, however, that we can recommend: Always remove your makeup before bed to prevent breakouts and premature signs of aging, and you should never wash your face more than twice a day because you can damage, irritate, and dry out your skin.
Also, if you think you can get away with simply splashing your face with water, think again. Even if you don’t wear makeup, rinsing with water is not enough to thoroughly clean your face and clear your pores. A well formulated cleanser is a must!
Protecting Your Skin’s Natural Oils
Skincare articles and industry professionals are constantly warning about a precious layer of natural oils on the surface your skin that ought to be protected. That layer has a name: sebum. Sebum is a mix of wax, fatty acids, and triglycerides that maintain natural moisture in your skin. These substances are produced by your body and are transported to the surface through your pores on every square inch of your skin, except the palms of your hands and soles of your feet. Sebum is an incredible component of your body’s largest organ, and treating your skin without taking consideration for it can cause irreparable damage.
There can be “too much of a good thing”, however, even with a substance as wonderful as sebum. Some of the highest producing areas of sebum are on your forehead and chin, and that is why they are generally the more oily areas of your face. Those areas also tend to break out more because extra sebum attracts and holds bacteria and dead skin cells which block pores and create acne and blackheads. Also, the larger your pores are, the more sebum you produce, which is why enlarged pores are a point of caution in the arena of skincare. On the flip side, the skin type classified as “dry” generally lacks adequate sebum production and requires additional moisture to become soft and smooth.
It’s because of the potential buildup and pore blockage that sebum needs regular cleansing. While the goal isn’t to remove all of it, the dirt and dust it has collected cannot be allowed to stay. In order to accomplish this, a gentle cleanser is your weapon of choice – one that will not strip your skin of sebum but will thoroughly wash away unwanted debris.
Finding the Right Cleanser
Choosing a cleanser requires just as much consideration as any other skincare product because not all cleansers are created equal. The best ones are gentle –removing makeup, sweat and dirt without disrupting the natural balance of sebum.
At OZNaturals, we’ve created two effective, yet gentle cleansers that are ideal for all skin types. OZNaturals products do not contain fragrance, parabens or alcohol, and all products are cruelty-free.
OZNaturals Ocean Mineral Cleanser
Our Ocean Mineral Facial Cleanser is a truly restorative facial cleanser, containing Vitamin E and Rose Hip Oil, along with over 90 ocean minerals to effectively cleanse the skin. These ocean minerals nourish dry skin, heal blemishes and skin lesions, and repair rough, damaged skin, while effectively cleansing and controlling oil in combination and oily skin types. The spa quality natural formulation cleans gently but deeply. It also carefully removes impurities that contribute to free radical damage and collagen breakdown.
Quality botanicals soothe and stimulate cellular regeneration. A great regimen to follow after this cleanser would be the Ocean Mineral Tonic, an OZNaturals Serum, the Sea Infused Herbal Moisturizer, and the Super Youth Eye Gel.
OZNaturals Vitamin C Cleanser
OZNaturals’ Vitamin C Cleanser provides antioxidant protection to help protect skin from free radical damage while gently and thoroughly cleansing the skin and deep cleaning clogged pores. Ideal for aging and sun-damaged skin (though it can benefit all skin types), the Vitamin C Cleanser also helps fade sun spots and discoloration, refines skin texture and reduces the appearance of fine lines. It also helps stimulate skin’s rate of exfoliation for a brighter, smoother complexion, leaving skin deeply clean, smooth and radiant. An optimal regimen with this aloe vera and sugar based, sulfate-free wash would be to follow up with the Ocean Mineral Tonic, the Vitamin C Serum, the 2.5% Retinol Moisturizer, and the Super Youth Eye Gel.
Beauty Tips For Face Cleanser Selection and Use
- Never buy a skincare product, a cleanser or any other type or treatment that contains a fragrance. Added fragrances involve chemicals that are harsh on skin and cause drying and irritation.
- Plain old soap does not do the trick. Using bar soap or body wash on your face causes unnecessary damage that a facial cleanser is formulated to avoid. Soaps remove your skin’s naturally moisturizing substances (sebum) and leave behind residue, counteracting the purpose of cleansing in the first place.
- Wash your hands first. This one might seem like a no-brainer, but take a second and think about it: you wouldn’t clean your car with a dirty rag, or clean your floor with a filthy mop. Start your skincare routine each day by first washing your hands, and then washing your face.
- Take your time. Most people spend a maximum of twenty seconds on this step of their routine – and it simply isn’t enough to rid your skin of all the dirt and pollutants that are clinging to your face. Massage the cleanser into your face for a whole minute. Spend serious time on each section of your face – this will not only help you cleanse thoroughly, but it will also stimulate blood flow under your skin.
- Use lukewarm water. Cleansing your skin with extremely hot or cold water is a no-no – it irritates the skin and can cause broken capillaries and increase inflammation created by acne. The most common reason people use scalding hot water to wash their face is the myth that heat opens your pores. The truth is that your pores are not sensitive to temperature and they don’t have muscles – they don’t open or fold like flower petals in sunshine. For the healthiest results, use lukewarm water when washing and rinsing your face.
- Rinse thoroughly – do not skimp on this step! Make sure all cleanser product has vacated the premises of your face before moving on to the next step in your routine. And don’t neglect the hairline or jawline, which can easily and unintentionally go ignored.
- Wash your face after the gym – every time. Breakouts can be caused by allowing sweat to remain on your skin after a workout. If you exercise in the mornings, wait until after to begin your skincare routine to clear up your
You need neither a lot of time, nor any fancy equipment to effectively cleanse your face. Apply your cleanser to your hands or a clean washcloth, moisten with water, and wash thoroughly (twice if wearing makeup.) Rinse away cleanser and follow with toner, apply any OZNaturals serum(s), and finally a moisturizer and an eye treatment. Also, don’t forget to exfoliate 1-2 times a week to slough away those tired, dead surface skin cells! It’s as simple as that.So, the next time you’re tempted to crawl into bed without washing your face, remember it takes only a few minutes to set the stage for beautiful skin that lasts a lifetime. You’ll be happy you did in the morning!