If you have been in the market for skin care products recently, then you know that there is no shortage of trendy ingredients that promise nothing short of miracles. Admittedly, some of the best of these ingredients are truly miracle workers; however, it can be overwhelming and confusing to keep them all straight and to really understand which skin conditions they most benefit and what results you can expect to see from using them. When we are surrounded by all of these beauty buzzwords it can be easy to forget about some of the tried and true natural ingredients that have stood the test of time. Sometimes some of the most proven and efficacious ingredients are among the ones that we have relied on for so long that we tend to take them for granted. One of these ingredients is the beloved vitamin E, and it is making a strong comeback into the beauty game. Keep reading to learn why vitamin E and skin care go hand in hand.
Vitamin E is rich, golden amber colored oil that is a nutritive antioxidant. When the oil is applied to the skin, the molecules pass through the outermost layers and penetrate deep within the skins surface to where the transformation and healing that vitamin E promotes begins to take place. Vitamin E is an antioxidant that fights against and neutralizes free radicals and the damage that they create. When you combine vitamin E with other nutrients, such as vitamin C, the results effect becomes even more powerful.
However, you might still have a couple of questions such as, is vitamin e oil good for your face? And, how can vitamin E can boost your natural beauty? Thankfully, we’ve broken down a few of the benefits of vitamin E when applied topically:
- Fights Wrinkles: Free radicals are molecules that lose an electron and then look to replace it from other sources, such as healthy cells. This breaks down the stability and integrity of otherwise healthy cells in organs such as the skin. The results of this process are cells that do not function as they should. Skin damage from the sun, premature aging and skin cancer are caused, at least in part, from free radical activity. Vitamin E is an antioxidant that works to fight the formation of free radicals and also interferes with their biological pathways in order to prevent damage from occurring. As a result of this, your skin is better able to withstand and heal from UV damage. Vitamin E also helps to promote the production of collagen, which naturally deteriorates due to free radical damage and from aging.
- Softens and Moisturizes: Vitamin E oil in its natural state is a rich and emollient moisturizing oil. It penetrates the skin while also providing a protective layer that helps to maintain moisture levels. Vitamin E oil can be beneficial for all skin types and especially can be a game changer for those with dry, scaly or sagging skin. When used in state of the art moisturizer formulations, such as OZNaturals, it protects the skin’s barrier function without clogging pores or creating unwanted oiliness.
- Treats Skin Discolorations: Many skin discolorations, also known as hyperpigmentation, are caused by UV damage from repeated exposure to the sun. As mentioned earlier, vitamin E is an antioxidant that fights against and reverses this damage. As a result, it improves the appearance of age spots and other signs of hyperpigmentation by helping regenerate new, healthier skin cells that do not contain these disproportionate amounts of pigmentation.
- Fades Visible Scars: Vitamin E’s power to regenerate, restore and moisturize enables it to accelerate the healing process of scarred skin tissue that results from wounds and skin conditions such as severe acne.
- Fades Stretch Marks: It might be a little too optimistic to think that any skincare ingredient can magically erase stretch marks. If you have battled stretch marks, you have probably tried various products that promised to make them disappear, only to find that you wasted your money and your hopes on false promises. Vitamin E oil will not completely erase stretch marks, however it can improve them. Vitamin E can help build up the collagen fibers which support your skin and prevent stretch marks from occurring in the first place, while also supporting the skin tissue and lightening the discolorations that are often associated with stretch marks.
- Calms Minor Skin Irritation: Upset skin can be characterized by inflamed, red, scaly patches of skin that can be itchy or even painful. A light application of vitamin E oil can often help calm inflamed patches and reduce irritation. While many studies highlight Vitamin E’s effectiveness in helping treat irritation and skin conditions such as eczema and dermatitis, we always recommend seeking professional medical advice if you suffer from severe skin irritations.
- It’s Good for Your Hair and Nails Too: Vitamin E oil helps to smooth and seal split ends and dry, damaged nails. All you need is to apply a little of the oil to the ends of your hair or along the bed of your cuticles for the healing power of Vitamin E to penetrate and begin to soften and restore, leaving you with hair and nails that look and feel healthy.
Can you use Vitamin E oil on your face?
There are different types of Vitamin E that are used in a variety of skin care products. Vitamin E, also known as tocopherol, can be derived from either natural sources such as soybean oil, or it can be synthetically produced from petrochemicals. The main difference between the two is the structure of the molecules. Naturally derived vitamin E is a single stereoisomer, while synthetic vitamin E contains eight stereoisomers. What is a stereoisomer? A stereoisomer, in the simplest of terms, is a set of molecules that are identical except for the way that their atomic components are arranged.
Synthetic vitamin E contains molecules that are configured slightly differently. While this seems like it really shouldn’t make that much difference, it actually can have a significant impact on the effectiveness of vitamin E. This is because the arrangement of the synthetic form makes it so that the molecule is less bioavailable, or usable, to the human body. Some studies suggest that natural vitamin E provides more than twice the benefits that synthetic vitamin E does. At OZNaturals, we use only naturally derived Vitamin E in our products.
If you are wondering how you can tell the difference between naturally derived vitamin E and that which is produced from petrochemicals, all you need to do is read the label and understand the subtle difference in how the different forms of Vitamin E are listed. Natural and synthetic forms have slightly different prefixes and suffixes associated with them. Natural forms of vitamin E will begin with “d” and end with “ol”. Synthetic forms will begin with “dl” and end with “yl”. You will see natural vitamin E listed as “d alpha-tocopherol” and synthetic vitamin E listed as “dl alpha-tocopheryl”. Pay attention to those labels and make sure you understand the source of your vitamin E and are able to make educated purchases and select products with the best vitamin E oil or extract.
Once you understand how to look for the highest quality of vitamin E in your skin care products, it is time to begin incorporating them into your regular beauty routine. You can also find a range of OZNaturals skin care products that contain vitamin E in appropriate amounts for their intended uses. Examples might include a best-selling eye gel, a nighttime treatment moisturizer, luxurious body cream or a skin brightening serum.
Topically applied Vitamin E is not the only healthy use of this important vitamin. There are also a lot of good reasons to include Vitamin E-rich foods, such as almonds, spinach, sweet potatoes and avocados to your diet. However, not all people tolerate vitamin E supplementation, especially those that take anticoagulants. Speak with your doctor before taking high potency vitamin E supplements and aim to get more vitamin E through natural dietary sources such.
When you look in the mirror, you want to see true, radiant beauty. For many of us, that means making conscious decisions about the products that we use and the ingredients that they contain. Vitamin E is one natural ingredient that has a long standing, well respected reputation in the health and beauty world. Regular use of vitamin E can battle the damage that leads to premature aging and rebuild your skin on a structural level from beneath the surface. With regular vitamin E use, you will see the fine lines begin to fade, the discolorations seem to lessen and your skin will begin to feel softer, smoother and become plumper as a result of the increase in collagen.
A true antioxidant superstar, Vitamin E is a fat-soluble vitamin that strengthens the skin’s barrier function, and prevents dehydration and cell membrane damage. Look for Vitamin E in OZ Naturals Super Youth Eye Gel, Sea Infused Moisturizer, Olive & Jojoba Body Soufflé, Super Youth Retinol Moisturizer, Vitamin C Facial serum and Pro-Retaxinol Retinol Serum.When you are searching for answers, when it comes beauty solutions, we suggest always looking toward nature first. Mother Nature almost always has the answer and in many cases that answer that you are looking for may be found in rich, natural vitamin E.