The History of Goji Berries
The goji berry has recently become a well-known superfood that is proven to have an array of amazing health benefits. While the goji berry has only recently gained mainstream popularity, it has been utilized for many generations to improve skin complexion, treat a variety of ailments, and to improve overall health and wellbeing. The goji berry is native to Asia, particularly China, and can be identified by its vibrant, distinct orange-red hue. Chinese medicine has capitalized on these benefits for many years and regarded the goji berry as a powerful source of antioxidants. In addition to containing antioxidants, goji berries also contain many beneficial nutrients, amino acids, carotenoids, and polysaccharides. These ingredients have all contributed to the goji berry becoming known for slowing the effects of aging and improving overall skin health. These are only a small handful of the benefits of goji berries. One of the most striking benefits of goji berries is the transformative effect they have on the skin. Below are eight ways goji berries can help your skin:
1. Goji Berries Help Reduce Skin Inflammation
2. Goji Berries Help Reduce the Appearance of Wrinkles
For many people, one of the most frustrating effects of menopause is the appearance and deepening of wrinkles over time. Thanks to goji berries, there is a solution to help offset the effects of passing time. Goji berries contain an extremely high concentration of antioxidants, which has not only earned them earning their superfood status, but which also helps to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. In addition to being high in antioxidants, goji berries also contain a high level of essential vitamins, which contribute to healthier, wrinkle-free skin.
3. Goji Berries Help Increase Skin Firmness
Another side effect of aging is the loss of skin elasticity and firmness. Over time, the skin begins to sag and droop as the cells metabolize and replace themselves less quickly. By applying goji berries topically or by ingesting them, the skin can begin to repair itself and increase its firmness. Maintaining firmer skin will help you to appear more youthful and healthy.
4. Goji Berries Help Reduce the Appearance of Scars
Similar to how goji berries can help reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, they can also help improve the appearance of scars. Goji berries help increase the blood flow and circulation in the skin, which includes the scar tissue that exists underneath scarred skin. The increase in blood flow to the scar tissue helps reduce the pronouncement of existing scars and helps speed recovery time on new cuts and bruises to the skin. In addition, the increase in blood circulation also aids in blending the scar tissue in with new skin growth.
5. Goji Berries Aid in Healing Damaged Skin
Skin can be damaged in a number of ways, but one of the most common forms of skin damage is from UV light. Consumption of goji berries or topical application of a product containing goji berry can help rejuvenate damaged skin and repair the harmful effects of UV light damage. Goji berries are capable of accomplishing this impressive feat because of their high levels of beta-carotene. The beta-carotene found in goji berries can function helps to promote healthy skin. In addition, goji berries contain two known endogenous skin antioxidants, which are heme oxygenase-1 and metallothionein. These two antioxidants have been proven to facilitate in photoimmune protection.
6. Goji Berries Protect Against Free Radicals
Free radicals are molecules that are comprised of an atom but are missing an electron. Free radicals can cause damage to the skin by trying to harvest an extra electron from other molecules in the skin, making them a threat to the overall health and appearance of the skin. One powerful way of combatting the harmful effects of free radicals is through antioxidants. Antioxidants are molecules that are capable of slowing or completely halting the oxidation of other molecules. In essence, one of the main benefits of antioxidants is their ability to rid the skin of free radicals and prevent the damage free radicals inflict on skin cells. Antioxidants have a unique ability to slow the effects of aging by reducing the oxidative damage that results in the appearance of aging skin. One of the most remarkable aspects of the goji berry’s extensive benefits is its ability to protect the skin against free radicals. Goji berries can accomplish this because of their high levels of antioxidants.
7. Goji Berries Increase Skin Hydration
One of the most important factors to having a healthy, youthful glow is having skin that is properly hydrated. When skin becomes dry and dehydrated, the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles increases, skin looks more tired, and skin is more susceptible to damage from UV light rays. Goji berries can help combat the onset of dehydrated skin because of the amino acids they contain. Amino acids aid in the reduction of fine lines and wrinkles, increase skin hydration, and improve skin color and tone. In addition to amino acids, goji berries also contain polysaccharides. Polysaccharides have been known to have antioxidant properties, and their presence in goji berries help to increase skin hydration, as well as to tighten and firm the surface of the skin, thereby promoting the appearance of a radiant, youthful glow.
8. Goji Berries Help Reduce the Appearance of Age Spots
Age spots, also referred to as liver spots and solar lentigines, are dark-colored spots that appear as an effect of aging. Age spots are generally tan, brown, or black in hue and appear on the face, hands, shoulders, and arms since those areas of the skin are the most heavily exposed to UV light damage. Age spots an extremely common occurrence in adults, particularly those over the age of 50. Age spots occur as a result of the overproduction of melanin, which is a pigment in the skin. One way known to ward off the appearance of age spots is upping your dosage of Vitamin C. Vitamin C is known to promote the firming and tightening of the skin. In addition, Vitamin C helps to protect the skin from potentially harmful environmental toxins while also reducing the appearance of age spots. Goji berries contain a high amount of Vitamin C, which is why they possess the unique ability to diminish the appearance of age spots on the surface of the skin. This is just one of the amazing benefits of goji berries.
Understanding the Composition of Goji Berries
When considering incorporating goji berries into your diet and skin care routine, it is important to take a look at the significant amount of vitamins, minerals, and amino acids present in goji berries. Some of the most important, beneficial components found in goji berries are:
- Polysaccharides: Polysaccharides function like an antioxidant and help to increase skin hydration and firmness.
- Minerals: Goji Berries are extremely rich in minerals proven to benefit the human body and increase overall skin health. Goji berries contain 11 of the essential 22 minerals. Among these 11 minerals are selenium, zinc, iron, potassium, and iron. The presence of these powerful minerals helps to improve the overall health and appearance of the skin.
- Amino Acids: Goji berries contain a number of vital amino acids that help to rejuvenate the skin and return it to a youthful, radiant glow. The presence of amino acids in goji berries helps to act as a natural toner, thereby improving the tone and color of the skin. In addition to this, amino acids also have hydrating properties that aid in improving skin hydration.
- Vitamin C: Goji berries are comprised of high levels of Vitamin C, which helps them to protect the skin from environmental toxins, improve skin hydration and appearance.
- Carotenoids: Carotenoids are fat-soluble pigments that give colors to various plants. Goji berries contain a number of beneficial carotenoids, including beta-carotene, zeaxanthin, lutein, lycopene, cryptoxanthin, and xanthophyll. The presence of carotenoids in goji berries has been shown to enhance the healthy glow of skin and make it appear more youthful and radiant.
How to Get the Benefits of Goji Berries
There are a number of ways to receive the astounding benefits of goji berries. Below are just a few of the ways to begin experiencing the array of ways in which goji berries can help improve your skin.
- Goji berries can be consumed raw to receive them in their most natural form. There are a number of companies that sell dried goji berries, as well as fresh goji berries. Many people strive to get the fresh, soft goji berries as they are thought to be more beneficial, but because goji berries do not have a long shelf life, it is more feasible often to find dried goji berries. Regardless of whether they are fresh or dried, goji berries are a healthy, antioxidant-rich snack that can improve the overall health of your skin.
- Goji berries can also be used to brew a tea or make a vitamin rich juice. Goji juice is available for purchase at many health food stores and is a great snack to drink throughout the day. You can also brew your own goji berry tea by steeping goji berries in hot water. If subscribing to this method of consumption, it is best to also eat the berries once the tea is brewed to receive the maximum benefits goji berries can offer.
- Goji berry skin benefits are plentiful, which is why goji berry is becoming more commonly found in high-quality skin care products that focus on natural ingredients proven to improve the skin. To receive maximum benefits of goji berries and improve the overall appearance and health of the skin, it is important to target skincare products with goji berry as one of the main ingredients. One such product is the OZNaturals Vitamin C cleanser, which contains goji berry, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, rose hips, and hyaluronic acid.
Goji berries can benefit skin in a variety of ways, accomplishing everything from helping to reduce wrinkles to protecting the skin against harmful free radicals. The monumental popularity this orange-red berry has gained is understandable considering the incredible benefits that goji berries offer. Though they have been a staple for many years in Chinese medicine, only recently has the mainstream population began to truly appreciate their remarkable qualities. Among the goji berry’s most admirable traits is its unique ability to help heal and protect the skin. Goji berry skin care helps to improve skin from the inside out with a natural remedy that is proven to help reduce inflammation, the appearance of age spots, and the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. In addition, goji berries have been shown to increase skin hydration, firmness, and to reduce the number of free radicals damaging the skin. To begin a goji berry skin care routine today, browse OZNaturals’ selection of high-quality skin care products that harness the transformative properties of goji berries and other natural ingredients proven to improve your skin.