Top tips to banish dry skin forever.
As anyone with dry skin knows, keeping this skin type happy is not always easy. Most dry skin conditions happen because the outer layers of the skin have lost their ability to retain moisture. When the skin’s barrier function is stressed or compromised, it cannot look or feel its best. There are some tried and true steps, however, that you can take to repair that barrier, and return your skin to optimum health.
- Choose a gentle cleanser. Harsh cleansers are one of the biggest culprits when it comes to dry skin. Use a gentle cleanser, such as our Vitamin C Facial Cleanser, which is sulfate-free and anti-oxidant rich. Avoid any skincare products that contain irritating or drying ingredients such as alcohol or added fragrances.
- Exfoliate. Dry skin often looks and feels even worse because the top layers of dead skin cells are blocking healthy new skin cells from the surface. A gentle exfoliant such as our Ancient Orient Rice Dermafoliant, used at least twice a week, will help correct this problem.
- Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize. There’s no excuse for not applying a well-formulated moisturizer every morning and evening. For added benefit, use OZNaturals Hyaluronic Acid Serum first. It’s a super hydrator that plumps the skin and retains 1000 times its weight in water. Following up with our Super Youth Retinol Moisturizer will deliver even more Hyaluronic Acid and Vitamin E to make dry skin smooth and supple. For the delicate eye area, try our luxurious Ultra Ageless Eye Crème morning and evening.
- Use a hydrating mask for an extra boost. Our Vitamin C + Sea Hydration Mask is a secret weapon for severely dry skin. Gentle ocean botanicals and hyaluronic acid bathe the skin in moisture and anti-oxidants. Try using the mask daily for a week for a noticeable improvement in hydration.
- Always use sunscreen. Sun exposure is damaging and makes your skin less able to hold water. A mineral-based SPF30 sunscreen every day is a must. Our Age Defying Solar Shield Tinted Sunscreen provides great protection in a highly moisturizing formulation.
- Add moisture from the inside out. Your skin is about 30% water, so proper hydration is essential for its health, and even more so when it is dry or stressed. Drinking dehydrating beverages such as coffee and alcohol can make the problem worse. Consuming lots of pure water is your best bet.
- Long exposure to water from showers or baths, however, will have a negative effect. Keep water lukewarm, not hot, and limit your time in the shower or bath.
- Get enough sleep. Lack of sleep stresses every organ of the body, and that also goes for your skin.
- Exercise. Exercise not only helps to keep us in shape, but it also helps to keep the body functioning properly. This means it can help keep your hormones and thyroid in balance, which in turn will keep the body’s oil production more balanced. A sedentary lifestyle is never good for the skin.