Addressing hyperpigmentation, uneven skin tone and age spots
After a certain age, most skin starts to develop less even tone, with darker spots and ruddiness becoming more visible. Hyperpigmentation, as it is known in skincare circles, is most commonly caused by exposure to the sun. While you may not have been a sun worshipper, over time the cumulative effects of UV radiation take their toll. The result is visible change in skin tone and coloring.
There are a number of proven ingredients and strategies that can make a visible difference to sun-damaged skin, and winter is an ideal time to start a repair program. Here are some of the most effective ways to address the damage:
- Antioxidants – Antioxidants, such as Vitamin C and Astaxanthin, can help undo damage caused by sun exposure, and prevent further damage to the skin’s DNA. Daily application of topical antioxidants can reduce skin inflammation, decrease redness and reduce uneven brown pigmentation. OZNaturals Vitamin C Serum contains a variety of powerful antioxidants including Vitamins C and E, green tea, rose hips as well as the super antioxidant Astaxanthin to address these tell-tale signs of sun damage.
- Retinol – The form of Vitamin A known as Retinol is one of the most proven ingredients for improving sun damaged skin. Retinol works by promoting cellular renewal and collagen synthesis to improve skin texture, diminish brown spots and improve luminosity and glow. Our 2.5% Retinol Serum combines Retinol with proven antioxidants to improve the health and looks of sun-damaged skin. Follow with our Super Youth Retinol Moisturizer for an added dose of Vitamin A.
- Exfoliation – Sun-damaged skin often looks blotchy and uneven, and a buildup of dead skin cells makes matters even worse. Regular exfoliation not only removes dead skin cells, but helps speed up cellular renewal and allows skincare products to work more effectively. Exfoliate two to three times a week with OZNaturals Ancient Orient Enzyme Dermafoliant to remove buildup, and allow the active ingredients in serums and moisturizers to penetrate the skin.
- Glycolic Acid – Stronger chemical exfoliation, such as OZNaturals 50% Glycolic Acid Peel, can yield even more dramatic results in terms of brightening the skin and fading brown spots. Peels work by removing the very top layers of damaged skin and allowing healthy new skin cells to come to the surface. While most skin types can benefit from a glycolic acid peel, it is important to follow directions closely and be conservative until you know how your skin tolerates glycolic acid.
- Sunscreen – Perhaps the most important step to improve sun damage is to wear an SPF 30 sunscreen daily, rain or shine. While this may seem like it is simply preventing future damage, it is also providing the protection from UV radiation that your skin needs to heal and repair itself. Our Age Defying Solar Shield Sunscreens provide weightless, sheer protection in both a natural and tinted version.
Hyperpigmentation can take years to develop, and it won’t be repaired overnight. With patience and regular use of the products and methods mentioned above, however, you can expect to see a more even skin tone and brighter, more youthful looking skin.