Oily Skin Treatment & Tips
What you need to know about oily skin.
Knowledge is power when it comes to taking charge of oily skin. While this skin type can be a challenge, we’ve got lots of advice for helping it look and feel its best. Keep reading to learn how to get rid of oily skin.
The amount of oil our skin produces is controlled by hormones called androgens. These are often thought of as male hormones, although both men and women have them. While men’s skin tends to be oiler in general than women's skin, members of both sexes commonly suffer from oily skin and the subsequent problems that it can cause.
There are many potential causes for oily skin. If you’ve always had oily skin, and other members of your family do as well, it may be a genetic trait. A change in medications such as birth control pills, or hormone replacement medications can also trigger excess oil production. Stress, environmental factors and, incorrect use of skin care products may also be at fault.
Regardless of the cause, a proactive oily skin routine is an important step in caring for oily skin. The basic steps of cleansing, toning, exfoliation, hydration and sun protection are all key to the good health of all skin types, but they are especially vital for managing oily skin. Below are some tips for oily skin management:
- Use a gentle, sulfate-free cleanser morning and evening. Harsh cleansers can temporarily dry out skin, but they end up triggering more oil production, causing a vicious cycle. OZNaturals Ocean Mineral Cleanser cleans gently but deeply, and unclogs pores without stripping skin.
- Exfoliate regularly. Oily skin builds up dead skin cells at a faster rate, clogging pores and causing blackheads. Our Ancient Enzyme Dermafoliant effectively rids the skin surface of unwanted dead skin cells without irritation.
- Hydrate skin with a lightweight, oil-free moisturizer. It’s a mistake to think that oily skin does not require moisturization. A lightweight moisturizer such as OZNaturals Sea Infused Moisturizer protects the skin by providing antioxidants and skin repairing ingredients, without adding to oil production.
- Consider a peel. If your oily skin is not sensitive, incorporating monthly glycolic acid peels can help reduce breakouts and keep oily skin looking its best.
- Scrub aggressively. Over-zealous use of scrubs, cleansing brushes and pore strips backfire by causing irritation which – of course – causes more oil production.
- Use alcohol based toners, which are also a major source of irritation. Unfortunately, many toners marketed for oily skin fit this profile, and do more harm than good. OZNaturals Ocean Mineral Tonic is alcohol-free and enriched with organic sulfur and Vitamin C, to help nourish and heal skin, and allow nutrients to move in and out.
- Tan. Many people erroneously think that sun exposure will help dry out oily skin. Unfortunately, the opposite may occur as the UV radiation triggers an injury response and causes sebaceous glands to increase production of oil. Because oily skin is just as susceptible to sun damage as other skin types, it requires broad spectrum 30 SPF protection daily. A mineral- based sunscreen in a non-greasy formulation, such as our Age Defying Solar Shield, can protect skin without adding shine.
Oily skin can be frustrating to live with and get under control, especially during warmer weather. A consistent, gentle approach using the appropriate oily skin treatment products will have you sailing through every season, looking and feeling your best.