This healthy VEGAN and Gluten-Free Blueberry Super Seed Cake Recipe is perfect for a special summer occasion!
Over the past few years, this cake has become my favorite cake on the planet. I love that it’s packed with blueberries and seeds, super moist, full of incredible flavor and plenty of texture thanks to the clean ingredients.
Not only is it delicious, but it contains super-rich nutrients that feed our skin and it doesn’t derail our entire day with a sugar rush and regret! 😉
It is dairy-free, low in sugar, and can easily be made gluten-free with great results!
This Blueberry Super Seed Cake requires a few specialty ingredients, that are easily found in many stores. Trust me, this will absolutely be the BEST Blueberry Super Seed Cake you’ll EVER eat. Here’s what you need:
Organic Almond Flour: Any blanched organic almond flour will work. Almond flour can reduce inflammation, containing Vitamin E- which is known to be an antioxidant that helps protect your skin from harmful UV rays.
Organic Coconut flour: Not only is this a great gluten-free alternative, but it adds fiber and has a low glycemic index. Coconut flour is naturally high in protein.
Organic Vanilla Extract: just an essential.
Baking Powder: Just an essential
Organic Gluten Free Flour: 1:1 ratio baking flour. Most gluten free flours aid in digestion.
Organic Applesauce or Eggs: Just an essential for baking.
Organic Avocado Oil: WOW, this makes a huge difference in moisture and consistency. The vitamins in avocado oil provide powerful antioxidants that minimize signs of aging including wrinkles and fine lines. Avocado promotes a healthy production of collagen.
Organic Coconut Sugar: Not only does this sugar taste like brown caramelized sugar, but it contains inulin, a prebiotic fiber that reduces sugar highs and keeps your gut happy. It is also known to be a great low-glycemic sugar alternative.
Organic Almond Milk: Please know that any dairy free milk will work. This milk is low in fat, calories and is known to be a great source of Vitamin D and E which are great for your skin.
Organic Blueberries: This recipe uses 1 cup. If frozen, they need to be dethawed (make sure they are dry). Blueberries are high in vitamin C and E, which help fade away sunspots and help with hyperpigmentation.
Organic Pumpkin Seeds: I love adding these. Not only are they high in protein, but they are also high in Zinc which protects your cell membranes, helps you maintain collagen and promotes skin renewal.
Organic Sunflower Seeds: Great add for taste and skin health! Sunflower seeds are so tasty and can prevent premature aging, reduce acne and inflammation. They keep our skin glowing!
- 3/4 cup of organic gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp of organic blanched almond flour
- 2 Tbsp of organic coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2/3 cup organic avocado oil
- 2/3cup and 2 tbsp organic coconut sugar
- ½ cup organic unsweetened applesauce (at room temperature & also use ¼ tsp baking soda) or 2 free-range eggs
- 1 tsp organic vanilla extract
- 1 cups frozen organic blueberries dethawed and dry
- 1/3 cup organic pumpkin seeds
- 3 tbsp organic sunflower seeds
- Option 1: sprinkle 1 tbsp of organic sesame seeds on top.
- Option 2: replace blueberries with ¾ cup organic vegan chocolate chips
For the Decorating:
- Sprinkle organic powdered sugar or organic coconut sugar
- Preheat oven to 335 degrees F. Line an 8x8 glass or aluminum baking pan with parchment paper and lightly grease. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine all flours, baking soda, baking powder (If vegan option), and salt; set aside.
- In another bowl beat eggs if non-vegan with a handheld mixer
- Add coconut sugar, apple sauce(vegan), and vanilla extract and whisk until completely combined.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix with a handheld mixer on low power until just combined.
- Fold the blueberries into the batter gently until evenly mixed.
- Pour batter into the prepared cake pan.
- Insert pan in the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let cool for 45 minutes to an hour.
- Use parchment paper to lift the cake out of the pan and continue cooling on the rack.
- Using a sifter, sprinkle powdered sugar on the cake evenly.
- Store an airtight container in the refrigerator or freezer if you want to save some for later. Can be served warm, room temperature or cold.